An impressive Iron Age hillfort with great views across western Snowdonia and over the Llŷn Peninsula
This is a small, but nonetheless highly impressive Iron Age hillfort north of Llangybi. It has three lines of defence to the north and west, including banks and ditches and some dry stone walling. In common with other hillforts, the lines of defences were not all constructed at the same time. Some were probably added during the first centuries of its use, with others brought in much later, in medieval times.
The inner area was excavated in 1939. The walls here are the best preserved, however, not all the structures in the interior are prehistoric.
The inner rampart, thought to be medieval in date, is built entirely of stone. It is quadrilateral in shape with rounded corners. An entrance on the eastern side gives access through the inner and second line of defence.
Although a much smaller site, Carn Pentyrch also shares some of the characteristics of larger hillforts in the area, such as Garn Boduan, Carn Fadryn and Tre’r Ceiri.
This site is on the hilltop above the holy well of Ffynnon Cybi at Llangybi. The walk up from the holy well is well rewarded, offering wonderful views over Eifionydd and Llŷn from the summit of Carn Pentyrch.
- Accessible by Public Transport
- Info Point
- Good Walks Nearby
Minor road at Llangybi between A499 and A487
Cricieth - 7 miles
Bus service available
Several footpaths available. Nearest is from the cemetery at Llangybi. Continue up hill from well.
Walking boots recommended. Keep dogs on leads.
Full Figure Grid Reference: SH 424417
OS Landranger map sheet: 123