Situated on the north coast of Llŷn, Llangwnadl Church is an outstanding example of a medieval church. The site of the shrine of St Gwynhoedl became an important resting place along the North Wales Pilgrim’s Way to Bardsey Island, and probably explains why the church was enlarged in the 16th century as it gained popularity.
Today the church stands alone by a stream on the eastern side of the parish of Llangwnadl. It is a peaceful and tranquil place to visit. St Gwynhoedl was one of the earliest saints of Llŷn, and the gravestone erected to mark his burial place can now be found at Plas Glyn y Weddw, the oldest art gallery in Wales, at nearby Llanbedrog.
Inside the church, marvel at the triple aisle and arcade formation, and the grand scale of the building. A date of 1520 is carved on one of the arches of the northern arcade. The church also contains the inscription ‘S GWYNHOEDL IACET HIC’, meaning ‘Gwynhoedl is buried here’. A large stone slab in the south wall bears a carved cross dating to the 7–9th centuries; it was discovered during 20th-century renovations.
Another clue to the pilgrim connection is the name of the field next to the church, ‘Cae Eisteddfa’. This would suggest that the field was traditionally a resting place for pilgrims.
Llangwnadl is on the pilgrim route to Bardsey and lies between Clynnog Fawr and St Hywyn’s, Aberdaron. A visit here can be combined with other sites on the route, which are within easy reach.
Itinerary Pilgrim's Way
application/pdf / 1.88 MB
- Accessible by Public Transport
- Buggy Access
- Wheelchair Access
Open all year
From Tudeiliog take B4417 towards Aberdaron. Llangwnadl is singposted.
Pwllheli - 14 1/2 miles (approx)
Nearest bus stop is Llangwnadl Plas Farm 0.5 miles on the B4417
Church is on side of road leading to Llangwnadl from the B4417
Full Figure Grid Reference: SH208333
OS Landranger map sheet: OS 123
- Llangwnadl, LL53 8NW