The Welsh Bible
This beautiful setting on the edge of Snowdonia was the birthplace of Bishop William Morgan (c.1545–1604), the man who translated the Bible into Welsh. Others before him had translated various passages, but not until 1588 was the first complete edition produced. This was the basis for a revised edition that followed in 1620 and became the standard and accepted Welsh-language version of the gospels.
Few original features remain at Tŷ Mawr, but the house has been lovingly restored to its 16th-century appearance. A copy of Morgan’s original 1588 edition, considered to be the most important book ever published in Welsh, is kept here. The work appealed to the humanist desire to make the Bible available to everyone, and was crucial to the success of the Reformation in Wales. It ensured that Welsh would survive as a living language and provided a template for a standard version of written Welsh.
Many visitors from around the world have been inspired by Tŷ Mawr and the story of William Morgan. Today the farmhouse is managed by the National Trust and contains a collection of Bibles sent from around the world. They are written in many different languages (currently around 200) – in certain cases it is the first time these languages have ever been written down. More than 500 years after his great achievement, the legacy of William Morgan continues to inspire.
An Audio Trail and Itinerary have been created for this site. To download them, please see here
- Buggy Access
- Good Walks Nearby
- Picnic Area
- Wheelchair Access
Please check National Trust website
From the A5, 6 miles south of Betws y Coed, take the B4406 to Penmachno, then take forest road
Pont-y-Pant - 2½ miles
Bus stop at Penmachno - 2 miles away
Full Grid Reference Number: SH 770524
OS Landranger map sheet: 115
- 01690 760213
- Tŷ Mawr Wybrnant, Penmachno, LL25 0HJ