Capel Garmon – a Neolithic Tomb and an Iron Age ‘Firedog’.
This chambered Neolithic long barrow tomb stands on a ridge above the River Conwy to the south of the village of Capel Garmon, near Betws y Coed. Thought to have been constructed as early as 3500 BC, the tomb is unusual for this part of Wales in resembling similar structures built in the Severn Valley/Cotswold area.
The site has been excavated on a number of occasions and partly restored. The present entrance to the tomb was created in the 19th century, when the monument was used as a stable. The original entrance stood at the south side and led into a rectangular area from which two further circular enclosures branched off. The entire tomb would have been capped with large stones. Today, only one of these capstones, a huge slab of stone 14 feet wide, remains in situ. In addition, the whole structure would have been covered with a pile of stones to form a cairn. The tomb was excavated in the 1920s and traces of bone and late Neolithic ‘Beaker’ pottery have been discovered here.
In 1852 an iron ‘firedog’, a decorative stand for a hearth, was found in a field at Carreg Goedog Farm, Capel Garmon. Dating to the Iron Age, it consists of two connected horned animal heads and appeared to have been buried on purpose, perhaps as a religious offering. It can now be seen at the National Museum Wales in Cardiff.
An Audio Trail and Itinerary have been created for this site. To download them, please see here
- Accessible by Public Transport
- Good Walks Nearby
- Family Walk
Monument to East of Capel Garmon village
Betws y Coed - 2.4 miles
Bus stop at Capel Garmon
Signposted Footpath to monument. May be wet underfoot crossing the field.
Full Figure Grid Reference: SH 818543
OS Landranger map sheet: OS 116
- Capel Garmon Neolithic Tomb, Capel Garmon