Visit this 18th-century Nonconformist chapel, built for an Independent community in the hamlet of Nanhoron.
This early chapel, built from 1770 to 1772, is probably the oldest surviving Nonconformist chapel in north Wales. The stone building may have been a barn originally, judging by its appearance, or it may have been deliberately built to resemble a barn, as were many early chapels.
The chapel was built for an Independent church congregation and funded by Catherine Edwards from Nanhoron. She was the wife of Royal Navy Captain Timothy Edwards, who died on board HMS Actaeon on his voyage home from the West Indies. Catherine was an Anglican with strong Evangelical sympathies and, after her husband’s death, she joined the chapel’s congregation. Step inside to see the equally old interior, with one of its box pews dedicated to Catherine.
Alterations to the building were carried out in the early 19th century, and restoration work was undertaken in the 1950s. Today the chapel remains a beautifully preserved place of worship.
- Accessible by Public Transport
East of junction B4415 and B4413
Pwllheli - 8 miles
Bus stop at the Junction B4415 and B4413
Near NCN regional route 42
Open by arrangement only. Exterior visible.
OS Grid Reference: SH 285309
OS Landranger map sheet: 123
- Capel Newydd Nanhoron, Pwllheli