The technological revolution begins here
The Glasdir Copper and Gold Mine, near the village of Llanelltyd, was opened in 1852, primarily to extract copper ore. Over 13,000 tons of the metal were removed from the hillside between 1872 and 1913.
In 1896 the mine was bought by the brothers Frank and Stanley Elmore, in conjunction with their father William. There they installed the world’s first industrial-sized commercial flotation process for mineral separation, a process developed and patented by Frank and Stanley themselves. Essentially this revolutionary technique used oil to gather pulverised, copper-containing sulphides together and then to ‘float’ them to the surface, where they could be recovered more easily. The process allowed for the extraction of much lower grade ores, which previously had not been economically viable. Without this innovation our 20th-century technological revolution would not have been possible – copper wire would have been just too expensive.
The mine was sold only a few years later to new German owners. This resulted in its closure in 1915 because of the First World War. Today visitors to the mill can follow a walking trail around the site with its remains of concentrating units, crushers, water channels, railway and, of course, the mill building itself.
- Accessible by Public Transport
- Info Point
- Buggy Access
- Good Walks Nearby
- Children's Facilities
- Family Walk
- Picnic Area
- Wheelchair Access
East off the A470 following the brown tourist signs for Ty’n y Groes. Follow the tarmac road south past the Ty’n y Groes picnic site for another ¾ mile.
Barmouth - 14 miles
Bus stop at Ty’n y Groes Hotel on A470 - 1.5 miles
Near Route 82
Follow footpath from car park
Parking at Glasdir or Pont Llam yr Ewig (Forestry Commission)
Wheelchair and buggy access on top path. Moderate walk from Glasdir carpark. Walking boots recommended. Path marked by red arrows.
OS Full Grid Reference: SH 739225
OS Landranger map sheet: 124
- Glasdir Copper and Gold Mine Mill, Brithdir, LL40 2HY